Sunday, September 4, 2011

Weekly Blog #1

     Quizzes!! Week two of software engineering introduced me to the concept of a quiz at the beginning of every class. I was scared about the first quiz, and read the two articles over and over, trying to remember minute details in order to do well on the quiz. But after Quiz # 3 I feel more comfortable, and have gotten used to the idea of taking quizzes all the time!
     We had to read the first twelve chapters of a really good book called Extreme Programming. I found the concepts in the book really interesting, and as I was reading I was constantly comparing the work style described in the book to my own work at my internship (at Qualcomm) this summer. When I start working full-time, I would like to apply some of the techniques described in the book to my work - of course the techniques mentioned should really be applied to an entire team, and not just an individual.
    The quizzes also had a couple of questions that would help us optimize our program for the Collatz assignment. I am going to try to use these optimizations to improve my code performance.  I liked how the quiz questions were relevant to our assignment, although when I first saw the question it did seem a bit random!
    The first project, which is due on Wednesday includes not just programming, but being able to use the Google issue tracker and a git repository. We also need to write a wiki, and create documentation for our code using Doxygen. I think these are all good skills to have, and am glad that we are being forced to develop these skills as part of the project.
   Anyway, talking about the project reminds me that I have a lot of work to finish, and so I'll sign off now!

No comments:

Post a Comment