Sunday, September 25, 2011

Of Wikis and Exams

         This week for me was all about finishing off PFD and studying for the first exam. On Tuesday, we got our Test Generator working, which was a relief, because that meant we were almost done. All we had to do on Wednesday was tie up the loose ends, and write the Wiki. I find writing a wiki on my algorithm to be an interesting process. Although I am sick of working on a project by the time I get to the wiki, I think it is a good idea to write it. It helps me actually think about my algorithm, and sometimes I find that I could have optimized certain things. I also like that it forces me to translate my algorithm into English, a skill that will definitely help me in the future, when I want to explain my program to my boss, or to a customer.
         The first exam was on Friday. I had heard that the tests in this class are very hard, so I knew I should spend a lot of time studying for the test. Although Professor Downing said that he would design the test so that our double sided cheat sheet would be useless, I spent hours preparing a cheat sheet. And I made sure that not even a square inch on that paper was left blank! This was lucky for me, because most of the answers to the memorization questions that everyone seems to be complaining about, were on my cheat sheet! I was so glad that I took the time and effort to prepare a summary document of all the readings we had for class, it sure came in handy! However, I wish I had put some python syntax on the sheet, since under pressure of the exam, I forgot that to use the python iterator the syntax is i.next() not i.next. I really hope the grader doesn't penalize me much for missing the parentheses!
         Overall, I think I am learning a lot from this class, and I am excited to start working on the Netflix project!

No comments:

Post a Comment