Sunday, October 2, 2011

Netflix

           I learned something cool about Python in class this week. While talking about how to calculate the RMSE, Professor Downing showed us how to write the program in one line. Python lets you condense most expressions, so code looks very compact. I don't know how readable it is though, I myself would not feel very comfortable trying to decipher complex Math in one statement.
         This week started out with talking about the Netflix project and then moved to operators and how Java, Python and Haskell handle different operators, and have different expectations about l-values and r-values. The concept of l-values and r-values was new to me, and I found the exercise in class about whether an operator expects/returns an l value/r value, really interesting. For example, increment operators in Java require an l-value and return an r-value.           
         The Netflix project was one of the more interesting projects I have worked on this semester. I had heard of the Netflix prize of course, and I was excited to try it out myself! It looked really challenging in the beginning, but I was surprised to find that it did not take my partner and I very long to get an RMSE less than 1. It was fun trying to manipulate weights and figure out other ways to get a lower RMSE. We already finished the project and turned it in, and its due on Wednesday! In the past, whenever I have had to pair program, I have always worked with my friend. We are really used to each other by now, and are comfortable with each others style of coding. For this project however, we were not allowed to work with the same partner as last time, and I had to work with a stranger. I was a little apprehensive at first, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was pretty comfortable working with someone new. I applied the concepts of pair programming that we had learned, with satisfying results.

No comments:

Post a Comment