This week we started talking about Refactoring in class. We did the examples that Martin Fowler had in his book about the video rental store. I found this much more interesting than the book, and a much better learning experience.
Reading code written in a book can be tedious, and I sometimes find myself skipping over the code examples that Fowler shows. I catch myself in time, and re-read them, because they actually show what is going on. However, doing the examples in class, in an interactive manner, is much more useful. Coding is supposed to be a hands on process, I don't think anyone can learn to code by just reading about it. I also think it is hard to remember all his rules about refactoring, I think refactoring is something that is very intuitive and doesn't need an actual Rule-Book.
The second phase of the World Crises project was due last Wednesday. This was harder than the first part, since the website needed to be dynamic. I worked on the UML diagrams, which was a lot of fun, and also on the merge import. No one was really sure about what merge import was supposed to be doing, and we needed to get it clarified from various sources. This kind of showed me what it is like to work with a customer, and not know what the customer really wants. There should be open communication between the customer and the programmer, in order to give the customer what he needs and wants.
Reading code written in a book can be tedious, and I sometimes find myself skipping over the code examples that Fowler shows. I catch myself in time, and re-read them, because they actually show what is going on. However, doing the examples in class, in an interactive manner, is much more useful. Coding is supposed to be a hands on process, I don't think anyone can learn to code by just reading about it. I also think it is hard to remember all his rules about refactoring, I think refactoring is something that is very intuitive and doesn't need an actual Rule-Book.
The second phase of the World Crises project was due last Wednesday. This was harder than the first part, since the website needed to be dynamic. I worked on the UML diagrams, which was a lot of fun, and also on the merge import. No one was really sure about what merge import was supposed to be doing, and we needed to get it clarified from various sources. This kind of showed me what it is like to work with a customer, and not know what the customer really wants. There should be open communication between the customer and the programmer, in order to give the customer what he needs and wants.
No comments:
Post a Comment